Sunday, September 7, 2008

Man’s Best Friend

I had a great time photographing Steve and his dog, Smokey,
last week in Austin. Smokey, an Australian Shepherd, is very
friendly and quite a ham. I was able to capture almost 200 images
in the last 30 minutes of the day. This image is my favorite though.
I captured it on our way home as the sun was setting in the background.


Last Thursday I had the pleasure of photographing Steve’s dog, Smokey. Smokey is an Australian Shepherd and was a blast to photograph. Steve had been wanting some professional quality pictures of his best friend, especially since he is growing older. He has plenty of pictures from the puppy years, but now Smokey is approaching 11 years old, and Steve didn’t really have any good recent pictures of him. That’s where I came in.

We decided to take Smokey to the park and let him run around and just be a dog so that I could get pictures of his personality, not posed pictures of him in a studio in front of a backdrop. After letting him explore a little, I had Steve help me direct Smokey so that I could capture him in the right setting based on the background and available light. I told Steve to get Smokey to go one way, then move back the other way so that I could take several images using my Nikon D2X’s continuous shooting mode at 5 frames per second and my Nikon 70-200 mm VR lens.
We repeated that same process for several different set ups.

We started in a large field with both short and tall grass. We then moved to a pedestrian bridge where we had Smokey cross several times. After that, we moved to a walking path that curved back and forth and had Smokey walk along the path toward us. Since we were all getting hot at that point, we stopped to let Smokey have some water from a dog fountain. I was even able to get some good shots there too. Finally, we ended up in the pond. And when I say we, I mean Smokey. He loved retrieving the frisbee that Steve brought along for this reason specifically.


All in all, we spent about 30 minutes walking around and taking pictures. Actual shooting time was about 10 minutes, during which I captured 177 images. After deleting the ones that were out of focus or those where Smokey had turned away from the camera, I had 116 good images for Steve to choose from. So, I would say we had a successful day at the park.


There are some things you should consider if you are planning on trying to get some great images of your dog:

One of the most obvious is to pick a location that has a lot of room so the dog can run around freely. This allowed me to get a lot of great pictures without distracting backgrounds or with other people or animals in them. Another good tip is to let the owner direct the dog since the pet is used to listening to them and not you as the photographer. I wanted Smokey to forget I was even there so that he would act normally. Another tip that goes without saying is to plan your shoot before you get there. Steve and I had talked about what sequence we were going to follow before we started. We planned out the scenes, reserving the pond area for last. Finally, get shots from many different angles. Take some from the standing position, some from a squatting position, and some from a prone position. The more angles you take pictures from, the better your results will be. I was constantly moving around trying to get shots from a bunch of different points of view.

But, the most important tip I can give you is this one. When you decide to lay down to get those low angle images, check to make sure there aren’t any ant piles around. In my haste to get some great shots of Smokey in the tall grass, I didn’t thoroughly check the spot I chose to lay down. After I clicked off about 5 images, I felt the bites on my leg. I knew exactly what it was. Without dropping my very expensive camera gear, I deftly brushed off the nearly 100 ants that I could see crawling on my shirt, shorts, and legs. Luckily I was able to escape with only about 10 ant bites. Not as bad as it could have been for sure!

1 comment:

Life On Laurel said...

I love that photo. That picture, to me, exemplifies the bond that is created between the owner and the pet. Great and artistic shot!