Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Jolly Good Time!

This is a picture of two guards changing shifts on duty outside one
of the many buildings at Windsor Castle. You can see from the
proportions in this picture that these buildings are massive. And this
is just one of about half a dozen that make up the entire compound.

I spent the last five days in London. It was my first time to visit England and my second time to Europe. I loved every minute of it. I stayed in the country, in a town called Egham at the Runnymede Hotel. It was a wonderful little place and the town was just as lovely. I didn't realize this until I got there, but Runnymede is where the Magna Carta was signed. They have a monument a mile or so from the hotel and I took a walk down the Thames one morning to go check it out. If you ever in this part of the world, you should definitely stop by. It's pretty amazing to be standing in the same place where civil law was born.

Here you can see the Magna Carta Memorial located in a small wooded area
just west of the Thames. This is the spot where the original document
was signed which influenced common law as we know it today.


I didn't spend all my time in the country though (Windsor and Egham are both well outside of London proper). I also spent two tourist-intensive days in downtown London trying to hit all the major "must see" sites in the city. I went to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Harrods, Hamley's, Parliment, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Tube, Tower Bridge, Piccadilly Circus, three pubs to have a pint of bitter, and several other random places along the way.
This is a picture of one of the famous double-decker red buses that are
all over London. I caught this one speeding by while crossing a bridge over the
Thames near Big Ben. The one thing I regret from my trip is not riding on one.

No comments: